Jackson Early Childhood Center
The 3+ Tuesday/Thursday a.m. Classroom
April 2017 Newsletter
For those of us that work in early childhood education, April is “Purple Month”. It is a nationwide, month-long celebration, dedicated to the “Young Child”. The Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children (MiAEYC) states that “Children’s early years are the foundation for growth and development. Children are constantly developing and learning. What they are learning depends on their social-emotional health, physical health, relationships, and daily interactions and experiences”. At Jackson Early Childhood Center, our programming focuses daily on our students: their physical development, social-emotional development, cognitive development, language and literacy with an emphasis on “FUN”! This is an important month for us, with five scheduled “wear purple” days for staff and students, “purple activities” and two school-wide “Purple Parades” *(Our Tuesday/Thursday 3+ Classroom will be participating in the Tuesday parade)! We dedicate this month to all of our fantastic families and our adorable young students!
Special Thanks to our March Guest Readers:
Our 3+ Classroom would like to extend a great big “Thank You” our Jackson PTA, for their sponsorship of March’s “Clifford Read to Me Week” & storybook gifts! Additionally, our young students absolutely loved the PTA sponsored Mr. Nelson’s Wildlife Safari Show! They were so excited to see and touch the animals: a Giant Tortoise, Fox, Boa Constrictor Snake, Skunk and Alligator! Always amazing and exciting!
Our little classroom is very appreciative of our special March Guest readers: Gabby’s Mother; Merci and Mason’s Mother; Derek’s Grandmother; Raelynne’s Grandmother; Rowan's Mother; our Jackson School Administrator, Mrs. Gayle Fedoronko and Livonia’s Mayor, Dennis K. Wright! *Note: Mrs. Oppermann is always happy to schedule any reader visits on our classroom calendar – just let me know if you would like to share a favorite storybook with our students! Remember, the goal is to share our love of reading with the children, to model reading behavior and to simply have fun with storybooks! *Reminder: Reading aloud to children is an essential component to language development and is one the most important activities for preparing them to succeed as readers.
Announcements & Reminders:
1. We are continuing this month with our Fire, Tornado and Lockdown Drills. The children are doing great! Please know that we advise against parents taking their children out of school during a drill, these are district-wide drills with all schools and students participating. Parents that arrive will be asked to shelter in our hallways.
Zoophonics: Letters this month will include – “u”, “v”, and “w”!
Monthly Virtue Theme: RESPECT!
April Weekly Themes:
1. Pete the Cat Week! Author, Eric Litwin
2. Dinosaur Week! Dinosaur Roar by Paul & Henrietta Strickland
3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
April Events & Dates:1
1. Spring Break, Monday, 4/3/2017 through Friday, 4/7/2017. School resumes on Monday, 4/10/17.
2. Wednesday, April, 11th - PTA Meeting, 7:00 p.m. (Teachers’ Lounge).
3. April 11th, 13th, 18th, and 25th are designated “Wear Purple Days”!
4. Thursday, April 20th – Fire Drill Day.
5. Monday & Tuesday, April 26th and 27th – Purple Parade Days - 10:00 a.m.! Wear Purple!
It is a daily pleasure and a joy watching your children as they grow and mature, learning to control their impulses and self-regulate, practicing their listening skills and stretching their attention spans. This is a very energetic, young, classroom working very hard every Tuesday and Thursday. We must always remember too, that “play is the work of children”! Thanks again for all your cooperation and support. Please feel free to speak to me after class if you have any concerns or questions.
With appreciation, Mrs. Oppermann and Mrs. Berry